Monday, June 9, 2014

Slow Down

     My Dad took me out to a rendezvous for a day. I wore some of my Mom's old clothes, including the moccasins Dad made that she wore to their wedding. I ended up walking barefoot when I saw how muddy it was. It was a beautiful day, and so simple. This is where we ate our lunch of bacon, bread, and cheese. I adore reenacting, just living simply for a little while.

     I received some excellent advice while training at my new job: "slow down". I think it says something when you are told to slow down at a pizza place. I was trying to get the orders into the computer as quickly as I could, but I didn't know the system very well, and I was stressed. I didn't feel good enough, I wasn't learning fast enough, the people on the other end would be irritated that I couldn't put in their orders at the speed of light; and then I'm told, "slow down, they're on your time, you aren't on their's." It surprised me, but it made perfect sense.
     I am a busy person. I like to get things done, and I hate to feel that a day has been wasted. I don't want to look back on my life and not see any difference. The problem is that I have been ignoring the process. When I was taking those orders, I was trying my hardest to get to the end and press the "place order" button. I wanted to accomplish a successful order. But life is found in the process. The moments of completion and success are wonderful, but they're so much better when I can look back and love the journey. 
     I'm beginning to think that I find too much worth in trying to be 'Wonder Woman'. I want to be that person that always has it together and can do anything and everything. I want to be able to help people and make everything beautiful. I don't want to ever be accused of laziness. I am finding my worth there though. If I am having a down day, or getting a B in a class, or saying "no" to someone's request, I begin to feel like a failure. I must be actively doing and planning every day, or I am dissatisfied.
     I am making an effort to slow down. I am not putting pressure on myself to sew every day. I am trying to live in the moment and appreciate these days that I have been given with my family. And, even though I have a uniform to wear to work, I am going to try and be creative with my clothing in the day to day, rather than just waiting till I have to go to work, and then putting on my uniform. Life is beautiful, and as the old saying goes, I want to "stop and smell the roses". Youth is fleeting, and being in college and working during the summer is no excuse to waste these precious days. I am determined that youth will not be wasted on me.
Just some thoughts,
Lots of love!

2 comments:

  1. You write beautifully. I love reading your stuff. Thank you so much for sharing..you are such a beautiful young lady...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lori! I'm glad that you are reading and enjoying. I really appreciate it!

      Delete